Friends and family tell me I’m easy to shop for – just buy me a book or a gift card to a bookstore and you’re sure to make a hit. I make it even easier for them by posting the titles I’d like on my Amazon wish list well before the holiday shopping season starts.
Books are the perfect gift. Here are twelve reasons to put them at the top of your holiday gift list.
- You can find something for everyone. There’s a book for every reader, whether a cookbook for your new mother-in-law, a comic book for your niece, or a coffee table book for the boss who has everything.
- You have a great excuse to spend an entire day at your favorite bookstore. Whether you’re shopping at the big box store in the mall, your local bookseller on Main Street, or your favorite online store, you can happily consume an entire day selecting books for everyone on your list. Remember to stop long enough to enjoy a latte and some biscotti at the café, or at your desk if you’re at home, in your jammies, well beyond store hours.
- Your gift can educate and entertain at the same time.
- You can transport your reader to another time and place, allowing them to see a different world without having to buy airline tickets.
- They’re easy to wrap.
- Books are an affordable way to “wow” someone. Even the latest blockbuster bestseller costs much less than, say, the latest electronic gadget, and will most likely outlive its obsolescence.
- They’re easy to regift. And regift. And regift….
- They come in many varieties, so you’ll be sure to find just the right one to please, whether it’s a hardcover, paperback, e-book, or audiobook.
- The small ones, like mass media paperbacks, make excellent stocking stuffers. So do gift cards.
- You can borrow it after the reader’s read it without appearing tacky.
- You can support your favorite books and authors by sharing them with others.
- You can also support your favorite bookseller, ensuring that books of all kinds are always available.
Do you know of any other reasons books make the perfect gift? Drop them into the comments to be entered into a drawing for a free copy of my latest release “Christmas at Blue Hydrangeas.”